Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thomas Hardy/A Broken Appointment

Thomas Hardy was one of the poets who paved the way for the Modern era. As a young child he was sick alot so this inspired him to read many books. He began an early life being around simple people who worked hard and never were able to gain success. This troubled him. He moved to London at a young age and he tried to get some of his writings published, but they were always rejected. It was not until he met his wife that he finally published his first novel. In his first writings Hardy wrote about the life he knew when he was younger. He changed some things and renamed places though. My favorite poem was A Broken Appointment. The tale is of a man who is waiting for a woman but she does not come. He considers this to be a sign of the woman not loving him. He questions the relationship that he has and wonders why the woman can not simply love him and be with him for an hour. I think I am partial to this poem because I am a woman, and normally it is us, who just waits for the men and are often disappointed by them. I find this poem compassionate and it is ironic to listen at this subject from a man's point of view. He writes:

You did not come.
You love not me,
And love alone can lend you loyalty:
I know and knew it........(p.4)

I am sure that many people are partial to this particular poem because of its message. I am one of those in favor of it.

1 comment:

  1. Tamica,

    I am intrigued by your cryptic comment at the end of your post, but you don't really give your reader enough to go on to understand what you mean by it. Try to approach writing as a way of communicating with a reader who does not already know what you mean, and find ways of clarifying points and anticipating questions.

    ReplyDelete